Those last few stressful weeks of uni ultimately calls for chocolate. and coffee. Those who know me well shouldn’t be too surprised at this particularity, its a habit i haven’t / will probably never leave astray…
Let’s put it this way- Chocolate & Coffee is my idea of peanut butter & jelly / a.k.a. match made in heaven. It also snaps me back to reality when my vision starts wandering off on its own as i catch myself staring at the array of dust particles floating amidst the ray of sunshine peeking through my window….
No-bake, vegan, Mocha chia bars(Recipe adapted from www.hummusapien.com)
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- a drop of vanilla paste / 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (this brings it to a whole new flavour, make sure you don’t skip this ingredient!)
- approx. 8 medjool dates (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water**
- 1/2 tablespoon Maca powder**
**Optional- Omit coffee & maca powder if you wish & instead, replace with 1/4 cup water. I added them to the bars for extra energy to keep me awake!
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Using a food processor, combine all the ingredients and blend till a dough comes together. Taste & adjust to your liking- add more medjool dates if you want it sweeter etc.
- press mixture into lined pan by placing another sheet of baking paper onto the mixture and pressing it down with the back of a spoon / fingertips (this helped me achieve the smooth / even surface i desired)
- leave to set in the fridge to chill for approx. 2 hours…if you can wait that long 😉
- take it out of the pan, cut into bars and enjoy! For a little extra indulgent…spread an instant “frosting” by using your favourite chocolate / peanut butter spread of choice.
Simple, healthy & ridiculously tasty- my kinda snack! 😉 Enjoy XXX